The nucleus of the Washington County Public Library was actually planted in September of 1955 when Miss Margaret Willis. Three counties shared “a green truck” with one driver, Mrs. Gertrude Smith, taking reading material to the public in rural areas. In April 1962, the “green truck” was exchanged for a larger bookmobile; however, the needs of the people could not be satisfactorily supported. In September 1963, a sample library was set up in two very small rooms at the old L&N Depot building.
Washington County, as of July 2, 1964, became an established Public Library District. The Library was moved to larger quarters in the Burns building on West Main Street, where it opened its doors on October 13, 1964.
Early in the year of 1965, the Library Board secured an option on a lot of East Main Street between Carey & Son’s Funeral Home and the Telephone Company office. On April 14, the ground was broken for a “one story Colonial type building with a basement room under the rear portion.” The total cost of this building, equipment, and lot was approximately $119,000.
In 2012, Washington County Public Library purchased a parcel of land located between Fairgrounds Lane and Haydon Alley on US 150-West Main Street. The Library was awarded a Public Library Facilities Construction Grant from the State in 2015. On September 28, 2015 ground was broken at 333 West Main Street in Springfield for the new 10,360 square foot library. An official ribbon cutting ceremony was held on November 15, 2017…50 years of celebrating a library facility in Washington County.